Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 June 2015

THE EXPERIENCE OF A TRIP TO LONDON

Coach trip

I had the usual easy local bus journey with my free bus pass (deaf disabled). The coach pickup point is at Gatwick Airport but they seemed to have rebuilt it since I was last there. Moving through the terminal needed constant watch for surprises as people suddenly appeared at my shoulder or overtook me as I looked for the signs. I had my wife with me but it was too noisy to communicate with words.
We followed the directions to the coach stop which was outside.
There was constant background noise from engines running while loading passengers. No visual signs were present to announce delays making several passengers ask fellow travellers what was happening. If I had to do it I would have to resort to using my notebook so they could write down the answers.
A smart phone works well now that so many people use them. They could key in the answers for me to read. This even works in foreign languages which would make me as good as a hearing person or a tourist then!
I switched off and watched the world go by.
Did a bit of lip reading from afar, the young people were 'did you see' & 'OMG' the older ones were into 'do you think ...' & 'I wonder where'. Do hearing people realise how much sign language they use?
The standard BSL expressions are becoming more popular with hearing people. Or am I just noticing them more?
It was not possible to hear the bus staff call out names on the passenger list. What I could do was lip read his request to "stand back".
I was not aware of people coming up behind me with their luggage. Pushing past and in front of me when I am concentrating on lip reading or looking for sign.
The coach has safety announcements like aeroplanes but there is no person to see and lip read. I only knew it happened because I became aware of a rhythmical sound I knew to be like speech. Seatbelts are now compulsory on coaches but no one came around to check.
On planes they think I'm a hazard if ,as a deaf person, I sit next to the emergency door (where the best leg room is) but on the coach no one bothered me.
My wife informs me by writing in my notebook that he phone is playing " going to the chapel ... " I didn't even know the music was on, all I could hear was the engine noise drowning everything.
We last did this road journey when we returned to London to get married 35 years ago.
I switched off my hearing aid as it was of no use in communication and just enjoyed the peace and quiet with the addition of the vibrations from the engine. I get used to the quietness of total deafness very quickly. I appear to be more tuned in than I used to think I did. It's not unusual for me to forget and hold conversations until I stumble with the lip reading and then it goes chaotic and I realise. It amazes me how lip reading can be like hearing the words in my head or just utter gibberish without much in between!
I was alone with my tinnitus which now has no competition and so is making its presence felt and disturbing my peace!

Arrival in London.

The traffic sounds are just noise and over whelming my ability to think. So I switch off my aid and enjoy the solitude. This puts me into hyper-vigilant mode without the distraction. Not a bad thing for moving around London on foot.
The underground.
Going down the escalator one set of stairs have been blocked off and is being attended to by staff talking into radios and a transport policeman on guard. At the bottom of the escalator people are stopping in the narrowed stream of commuters to look back and see what is happening. Three people, two with headphones in and one on a mobile phone are oblivious to the world around them and CRASH! Then they took notice. For those of us needing to keep our wits about us it was just amusing to watch them scattered about.
On the pavement.
I didn't hear the cyclist coming from behind but then nor did the hearing fella with his girlfriend (I presume!) either. He was good at riding his bike but the pavement was very crowded and he bumped the chap's arm on passing. I didn't catch his comment but I could read the cyclist's lips saying sorry! He had turned his head back to say it but kept moving.
The comments where obviously not complimentary as the cyclist took offence and stopped on the pedestrian crossing in the middle of the road to reply in good old Anglo-Saxon English. I wanted to stand in front of him on the pavement and get in his way, show him my deaf badge and demonstrate that not all pedestrians can detect danger from every angle. But he was too fast for me!

At the hotel.

I mentioned to the receptionist that I was deaf and did not hear fire alarms. Would he please be sure to make sure I noticed it by knocking the door down if necessary!
I have found a little bit of humour goes a long way towards expressing a serious point and people remember it better afterwards. He was certainly amused I don't think he had had that request before!
And that is only the beginning of my road to a cochlear implant which happens tomorrow morning.

A post script to this blog.

The fire alarm went off at two am (because the steam from somebody's shower triggered the smoke detector!) I never heard a thing even though the bell was on the wall above the bed. Fortunately I was not alone! No evacuation needed this time but now I can't get back to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment