Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 June 2015

IS IT NEARLY A WEEK ALREADY?

I am pleasantly surprised at the speed of the resolution to my, more unpleasant, symptoms. Those uncomfortable parts have been more than manageable and haven't lasted for long. Each element has had an explanation and was to be expected in some form. 

Today is the last of my DVT prevention injections, I have had a DVT in the past so for me this was a standard precaution. Not everyone will have the same routine, it's "Once bitten, twice shy". My tummy is more bruised from the anti-coagulant than my head is from major surgery. I confess to having poked my head with a tentative finger to see how it feels. The skin is slightly numb on the surface around the wound and swollen underneath but not red or inflamed to suggest trouble.

My neck is now free and head movements mobile, even my jaw is cooperating with me. This is good to do but the increase in automatic head turning to take notice of things is causing frequent delays in my eyes settling and focusing. This brings tension to my face and forehead, a feeling of nausea follows if I don't wait for my head to catch up with me. My hearing-aid mold now fits well and I can hear better with my other ear than I have for ages! But then, the house is quiet now and there is only my wife to listen too. By being in this familiar place I can pace myself without getting too tired. There is no dizziness to concern me.

The taste in my mouth is subsiding and that is a relief, my tongue is less 'in the way' which I think was just because it has uneven sensitivity and I notice it more easily. My toothache is persistent but mild and eased by the paracetamol which I am still taking regularly. I could do without it but because I cannot read for long with these tense eyes there is very little to distract me. It takes away the annoyance of it and makes me feel more content.

Yesterday I was on my own all day for the first time. I have shown I have no problems and feel safe with that. I can catch up with my search for other people's experiences and feelings on the computer. I have found a whole world of others out there with similar thoughts and difficulties to my own. I just have to be careful with eye strain and sideways glances.

I have reread the information leaflets I was given before the operation and some others acquired since and compare them with my reality. This is where the uniqueness shows. Everyone will have their own variations and experiences and it is impossible to predict which will be evident, which will be troublesome and how long they will last. 

So this is just my personal insight and I am very pleased with the progress so far. 

What to expect following CI surgery.  

Pain: 
The operation wound is remarkably comfortable. Perhaps a bit tense at times and it may prickle but nothing that could not be ignored. The real issue was with the referred pain of the facial nerve giving me 'toothache'. Two days intensely and then only if stimulated by jaw movement. Now easily contained by paracetamol.

Swelling: 
This is very local to the wound and is expected in all surgery to some degree. The skull bone is close to the surface so there is not much room for the tissues to expand as it would in other parts of the body.

Ear numbness:

As above this is expected in surgery but there may be some permanent skin surface insensitivity. I will have to wait and see. For me this could be a problem because I wear glasses and they fit in this area and I will not be aware of any skin damage they may cause if I cannot feel it in progress.

Ear popping or fullness:

This happens when I stand up quickly but was only really evident in those first couple of days. Now it is more likely if I have been sleeping on that side, which I try not to do.

Dizziness:

I am very pleased this has not been a problem for me. I was expecting this from the first time I got out of bed and took the appropriate slow precautions for it. Eye disturbance is what I feel now. A slowness to focus sometimes but I feel safe on my feet. A good reason not to be left alone in those early days.

Drainage or discharge:

Since the large pressure bandage was removed the wound has been exposed to the air. A small leak of slightly stained serous fluid (not blood) has been evident. This is normal and is more evident because gravity helps it run down hill. There is no redness, soreness or smell associated with it. The wound is now at day five and completely dry.

D
ry mouth:
This is something that was much worse than I was expecting. It is not unusual to have a dry mouth after surgery, it may be from the after effects of the anaesthetic and the effect of wearing an oxygen mask, as is the lump in the throat sensation. It lasted for more than twenty four hours which told me it was associated with the facial nerve (which passes through the salivary gland). There is potential for this to last several months. I found the solution in 'Saliveze' an artificial saliva mouth spray, until it returned to normal after about two days. I had to eat only wet food to avoid choking because I could not swallow on that first day and night.


Taste disturbance:

This was longer lasting and very unpleasant. The metallic taste of my saliva when it returned was like drain cleaner! It has almost gone now after five days but still lingers with an aftertaste. It is also associated with an alteration in my tongue sensitivity, it feels as if I have bitten it and parts are swollen and others are numb. This is facial nerve again.

Meningitis:
I had a specific vaccination against this before the surgery as a precaution. If I had got this infection it would be devastating. The surgery is very close to my brain stem and infections track down the length of the 'foriegn body' of the implant. I'm glad that is not even in my thoughts until just now!

Tinnitus:

I was expecting this, it would be normal, as many things increase or alter the intensity for me. What I did not expect was the wonderful musical version I had that was not unpleasant at all. Sometimes the record needle sticks and it repeats itself continuously but mostly it is like a gentle ensemble playing background music at a reception. Today the ringing has returned, low key, but disappointing.


Chewing discomfort:
The localised bruising around my jaw made it difficult to open my mouth to chew at first. This has now gone away completely. When it was tense the effects were also felt in my eye coordination. The aggravation within the swelling of my jaw caused some of the other effects above to start up again or become worse if I persisted in moving it too much.

I was prepared to suffer for the long term gain.
I was not afraid of surgery.
I could have endured more.

I am very pleased that early discomfort and annoyance has quickly turned into satisfaction. I would happily do it again!




No comments:

Post a Comment