Search This Blog

Sunday 19 July 2015

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A TWEAK MAKES



If thou art a master, be sometimes blind; if a servant, sometimes deaf.
~  Thomas Fuller  ~

It’s only been a few days but enormous changes are happening to me. I feel so much a part of what is going on around me. Frequently, I get confused as my ability to hear changes with the environment I am in. The difficulty is that I cannot, as yet, sense those changes, only feel the end result. Multiple voices blend into one unintelligible tangle but as people leave the tangles unravel until, when only one or two remain, the voice rings out. I just don’t always see or hear the people leaving when I am trying to concentrate so hard. It seems as if it just clarifies on its own.
I have no concept of variable volume, just good and bad perception. I continue with the lack of dynamics in my hearing that give me depth, subtle variations of distance, direction, individuality and therefore precision. Sounds I hear in buckets full, but what I am hearing still needs extra help. Visual and memory support makes some sense of the disembodied individual words. I won’t get run over now when crossing the road in front of me but I don’t know what it is that will be aiming at me from around the corner when I am looking the other way.

Tweak one


I have just had my first tweak and increase in sound variety, blend and volume. This is the trial and error path to finding my individual hearing map. This is something personal and would not suit someone else. There is no ‘one size fits all’ with this device. I will continue these weekly adjustments for a month as we explore the gains and disadvantages towards the best solution possible, not normality.
My word recognition test was definitely more difficult this time. The multiple syllables in the words ran into each other and some vowels dragged. The sharper sounds echoed. This took away the precision of some individual words, making them more easily confused with background distractions such as tinnitus which they sometimes copied. My hearing was not worse, it was just my brain trying to assimilate more elements from difficult combinations that were previously unknown and dismissed as unintelligible. The choice of test words is not random, this is deliberate.

Homeward


On leaving the hospital I noticed subtle differences in those ever present footsteps on the hard floors (and the doors creaked!) Outside the most obvious difference was in the variety and perception of the traffic noises. That was less welcome. 

At the railway station I could almost understand the tannoy. I knew it was there but its lack of personality gave me nothing to get hold of, nor visual clues to read. That is going to be the hard part. The difference is that now I did not dismiss it out of hand. I try to understand what is said whether it is important or not. It is all part of the learning process. What I am pleased with is that I have been encouraged to actively use the visual signs and signals I have learnt over the years to help support me, such as lip reading. It helps the weird disjointed voices in my head attach themselves to the people I am speaking to. This separates them from each other and the crowd of automatons everywhere around me. It can be like a attending a happy Darlek Convention in the countryside! My time away from home is turning out to be opportune with so much talk and very little traffic. When I do return home I will have to replace this with extra visits to the theatre and public gatherings rather than stay in with my computer which seems to make as much noise as it can to distract me. I am beginning to think I must be annoying other people by making so much noise.

Back on site


I have a new bright yellow hat to signify I am switched off and resting my brain for a while when I wear it. As it can be seen from far away it saves the problem of causing offence by ignoring people unintentionally when they approach me. They can either avoid me or know they have to be more determined.

I cannot recognise the sound of my own name, Oi comes across much clearer. Perhaps I should get a new one?

No comments:

Post a Comment