Search This Blog

Monday 25 May 2015

LIP READING TO THE RESCUE

Lip reading hints.

Lip reading is not just a skill, it is an art form, and lots of fun.

Lip reading classes have been a great help to me. Although I am getting better all the time it is a lifelong education. The concentration needed to focus is immense. The spin off is that I can remember many of the topics we have covered. Much more than with conventional learning methods. I find that when it works I can hear the sound in my head even though the person is out of range or quiet, but when it fails it dissolves into gibberish. There seems to be little ground in between.

I have a superb teacher, she chooses themes for context and emphasis on sound categories that are interesting and very well researched. Other than coffee-break we must be the quietest class in the building. Our shared experiences of being deaf at different levels and the differences in character, makes for very good conversation practice. It is one of the few places I can ‘hear’ in a room from a distance because of the discipline we have from learning how to behave towards a deaf person as well as how to respond as a deaf person. Lip reading needs help and this needs to be led by the listener to gain the most from it. Being assertive comes with confidence and this is what many deaf people lack (myself included). Success will still only be less than half of a conversation in most cases. The remainder can be filled in with awareness, co-operation and luck.

The amusement from mis-hearing is great fun. We can laugh at ourselves now though I still remember when, for me, it was very embarrassing. Especially when I was confident I had heard properly.

From the classes:
Following the death of her beloved Prince Albert, Queen Victoria must have been very distracted when out walking one day because she was run over by a mushroom! or was it that she … “was overcome with emotion!”

After a hard day’s Christmas shopping the housewife consoled herself by opening a box of cherries!”. She would have been better off with her … “bottle of sherry!”
 
From those lessons came an idea that has proven very successful with my classmates and I. It centres around the problem of “not looking deaf” and so not being able to start a conversation on the best footing. Here are two badges intended to anounce the problem in advance. The first (on the left) is
international symbol of deafness and hard of hearing. I wore this for many years on my uniform whilst working. The second (on the right) is my own design to help in close public or friendly situations to set the scene. It  announces to people who see me out and about and do not know me that I will need help hearing what they are saying if they want to speak to me. This takes away the very big problem of missing the start of sentences and asking to begin again. This is something that often irritates people when they find out later that they are talking to a deaf person. They then do what they could have done in the first place.  
So, forewarned is forearmed! 

Advice for speaking to a lip reader:  
First attract the person’s attention, then, stand in front where your face can be seen clearly without obstruction from shadows and hats or scarves. Speak normally, not slowly nor too quickly or with added emphasis which will distort the mouth. Use short sentences and longer pauses between them to allow for a bit of catching up. Don’t be surprised to be asked to repeat something (which is easier with short sentences) and then rephrase the words but keep the same meaning. Don’t change the subject without first saying so, context is everything in getting the right word to fill in the spaces.

As the deaf recipient:
We must be bold enough to interrupt when we cannot follow the words or are confused by what we think we hear. Even when we get it right we can still doubt it! Set the scene with an explanation. If they don’t run away you may get a sympathetic response. Don't smile or nod if you don't understand but you may look confused.

I have every sympathy with those who just shut themselves away. Life can be like a padded cell sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment