Search This Blog

Sunday 24 May 2015

HOW TIMES CHANGE - COMMUNICATION SKILLS

Historians are like deaf people who go on answering questions that no one has asked them
~  Leo Nikoaevich Tolstoy  ~

So you know the outcome of the assessments. I am heading for a cochlear implant at last. It is now over four years since that first referral. I have given up full time work after reaching retirement age and doing only a little part time. I can now be very selective in what I do and where I do it, the support from my colleagues is as good if not better than ever. They have also blossomed into deaf awareness. 







They are patient with me.
They take off their masks (when acceptable to do so) to speak to me.
..... even my dentist does it now!
They write messages down for me.
They wait to get my attention before speaking.
They stand in front of me.
They say less and mean more.
They wait for my acknowledgement that I have heard them.
They repeat or rephrase things if my expression is to look confused.
They move me out of the way when large objects are going to run me over.
….. and they take me with them when the fire alarm goes off!

Now that I hope to achieve a level of hearing I have not had for many, many years and no longer work in such a responsible way I find, perhaps too late ...


I have embraced my deafness.

But better late than never, I will still be deaf, just enhanced.
With the option to switch the world off if I don't like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment