Search This Blog

Friday 29 May 2015

AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS




“Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.” 
~  J. K. Rowling  ~



Auditory hallucinations are something I have been getting increasingly more frequently this last year. There is no need to worry, it is only when I think they are talking 'about me', rather than 'to me' or I think it is all a government conspiracy that I might have schizophrenia,   dementia, or   bipolar disorder!
 

These hearing equivalents of visions are very real at the time. Mostly what I get is a form of tinnitus (from the Latin tinnīre which means "to ring") that mimics the rhythm, tone and flow of spoken sentences. Conventional Tinnitus can be heard as ringing or sounds like clicking, hissing, or roaring. Mine is in the form of whistling but done quietly and easily ignored. There are a number of potential underlying causes including ear infections, disease of the heart or blood vessels, Meniere's disease, brain tumours, exposure to certain medications, a previous head injury, and earwax.



For me, these strange extras are sometimes like listening to a conversation through a wall into the next room. You know it sounds like a conversation but you can’t make out the words. Because my hearing is so poor there are many sounds that don’t become clearly defined and so it is just like normal listening to me. This is why I am so easily fooled by them. It is not volume I always lack, but definition of the spoken word. Water running, waves crashing and wind blowing is noise that does not require definition to know what it is. This means the uncertain sounds I falsely ‘hear’ are more convincing and distracting as they are like my every-day listening to real things. The most common one is to hear my name called. This is the primary method of getting my attention before speaking to me. The result is for me to look for who is calling.



Last month I heard my wife speaking to me from the kitchen. Not unusual you might think? In this case the kitchen is way beyond my distance range for hearing and I knew she had gone out a few minutes before. I thought she had come back and I didn’t hear her coming in the door so I got up and went to look for her.



Ray is a single syllable word that has registered in my brain since childhood. I do not associate it with a meaning. It is not only a proper noun, it is also 'me'. I believe the trigger for this interpretation of the sound is not a similar sounding noise-confusion. More likely it is my brain’s attempt to find a word that it is familiar with and most likely to be used in the uncertainty of the occasion. As with visual trickery by magicians ears can be fooled into believing they hear what is not really there. My brain fills in the gaps for me with pseudo words, hence sometimes I answer a question I was not asked. It is all in the mental interpretation of the stimuli.  This is often gleaned from the context in which it is being heard, or, I hear what I want to hear! The down side is that after a while I resist the reaction to the call and so miss the real thing when it does happen.



I haven’t yet been put in danger by obeying a command that I thought was a warning and so reacted instinctively in the wrong way by stepping into rather than away from the problem. These are the normal quick interpretations of sounds without first waiting to rationalise them that we all do by reflex actions. I am aware that I have slowed down my reactions, perhaps because of the distrust I have for what I hear. My increased concentration and lack of directional awareness around me means I wouldn’t move out of the way until I was knocked over. Then I would believe it.



Paracusia is the term for hallucinations that involve perceiving sounds without auditory stimuli. Auditory hallucinations are usually associated with psychosis but it is possible for someone to hear voices without suffering from any diagnosable mental illness. It is, therefore, necessary to distinguished between the following conditions:

Endaural phenomena (in the ear) are sounds that are heard without any external hearing stimulation.  Phenomena include transient ringing in the ears and white noise-like sounds.

Otoacoustic emissions (from the ear) are a different form, in which a person's ear emits the sounds. The person cannot hear those sounds made by their own ear but they can be heard by others.

These categories do not account for all types of auditory hallucinations.

Others include exploding head syndrome and musical ear syndrome. In the latter, people will hear music playing in their mind. Other causes can be: lesions on the brain stem (such as from a stroke), sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, tumours, encephalitis, or abscesses. There is also hearing loss and epileptic activity. (extracted from Wikipedia)
 
In the past such things were treated by trepanning or witch trials. In later times the victim would be chained up in the street or imprisoned in an insane asylum. By the late 18th century the theory was that these hallucinations were the result of disease in the brain (mania) and treated in a Sanatorium. Attempts were made to treat it by dousing in cold water, starving, or spinning patients on a wheel. This gave way to brain specific treatments including Lobotomy, shock therapy and branding the skull with a hot iron!

Non-disease associated causes for auditory hallucinations have been shown to occur in cases of intense stress, sleep deprivation and drug use. High caffeine consumption has been linked to an increase in their likelihood. A study has revealed that as few as five cups of coffee a day could trigger the phenomenon. The primary means of treating the conditions is medications which affect dopamine metabolism.
There is on-going research into those auditory hallucinations which have a lack of other conventional psychotic symptoms (such as delusions, or paranoia). These studies indicate a remarkably high percentage of children (up to 14%) experiencing sounds or voices without any external cause, though it should also be noted that "sounds" are not considered by psychiatrists to be examples of auditory hallucinations. Differentiating hallucinations from "sounds" is important since the latter phenomena are not indicative of mental illness.


The causes of auditory hallucinations are unclear. Dr. Charles Fernyhough,  of the University of Durham poses a theory that gives evidence of involvement of 'the inner voice'. (Extracted from Wikipedia)




For those of us that are deaf the voices are clearer than normal because they are from the brain instead of the dysfunctional ear. A distinction that hearing people cannot make as their normal hearing is perceived in the same way.


Seeing Things? Hearing Things? Many of Us Do  ~

HALLUCINATIONS are very startling and frightening: you suddenly see, or hear or smell something — something that is not there. Your immediate, bewildered feeling is, what is going on? Where is this coming from? The hallucination is convincingly real, produced by the same neural pathways as actual perception, and yet no one else seems to see it. And then you are forced to the conclusion that something — something unprecedented — is happening in your own brain or mind?    Read more here:


Also see the Hearing Voices Network, the Mental Health Foundation's fact sheet on hearing voices and the NHS Choices Information pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment